Don Debelak offers affordable patents http://www.patentsbydondebelak.com
Most trade magazines, targeted at retailers, distributors and salespeople of a particular industry, for example bikes, or hardware tools, have new product sections. You will also find that many consumer magazines dedicated to a user, such as Bicycling, or Bike magazines also will carry new product sections. Press releases are a great tool for inventors because magazine editors may publish information about your product in a new product section that might be read by key industry people who can help you. Often you will get inquiries, particularly from manufacturers’ representatives, that, might help you promote your product. The best news for inventors is that you typically don’t pay anything to get listed in a news product section of a trade magazine or a product specific consumer magazine.
You can also contact hundreds of newspapers through a press release distribution company such as PR Newswire, https://pr.prnewswire.com/prnewswire, EIN Presswire, https://www.einpresswire.com pr PR Distribution https://www.einpresswire.com
Find the right trade magazine for your product by looking in Gale’s Source of Publications and Broadcast Media at larger libraries, or search on the Internet for your product category or industry and the term “trade magazines”. For example a search for bike retailers’ trade magazine you could find Bicycle Retailers and Industry Magazine.
After finding the names of the magazines you want to send information to, find the name of the editor on the magazines web page and the prepare and send a press release. The web site https://fitsmallbusiness.com/press-release-examples/ has 34 sample releases you can review.
Key Points for a Press Release
- Have an angle. Every good news story has something to get people’s attention. An example of people using the product, solving a ling existing product, or something fun and exciting are all angles.
- Write your headline. Your headline should grab the attention of your audience. Write up four of five possible headlines and show them to friends and relatives. Then ask them if they can think of something better. A Headline can’t be dull.
- Write your lead paragraph. This paragraph needs to have a compelling reason for people to read more. Again, it pays to write three or four lead paragraphs and then get input from friends and relatives about which one they find compelling. Do this before writing the body of the release as you need to know what angle you will follow. Check this site for more details http://work.colum.edu/~amiller/leads.htm.
- Write two to five strong body paragraphs with supporting details, which means you can document your points with actual examples of how it works. Focus group testing, consumer tests and real world examples are the type of documentation you want to have.
- The press loves quotes from real users, or from people in the distribution chain. Getting exciting quotes from users will dramatically increase the number of publications that will use the press release. Don’t just have the user say the product is great. You need them to explain the problems, or the benefit that your product gave them. For example, with this new bicycle accessory I can keep up on long rides with younger members of the bike club.
- Include photos of you, your product, and your product in use by an actual user. Make sure the photos are high definition photos suitable for publication. You can also send lower definition photos but refer the editors to a web site where high definition photos are available.
- Have a high quality web page set up. Interested editors will go to your site, and they will be turned off by a poor- quality web page.
- Include contact information including your name, phone number, email and web page.
- Include boilerplate copy about your company. A company boilerplate is a few paragraphs of text about the company that goes at the bottom of all its press releases. This text describes the company, its purpose, and often, its size, presence, and chief locations. Go this site https://www.criminallyprolific.com/company-boilerplate/ for information writing boiler plate information.